The Death Stars
All Planetary Maps are courtesy of Richard Cox
Death Star Planetary Map
The Death Star map shows a painted scene in the center of the Death Star from Return of the Jedi, surrounded by various smaller, relevant paintings.
The reverse side of the map shows various toys from the line and can be viewed here (218k). It's interesting to note that some of the toys, such as the POTF Biker Scout Pistol, were never actually released under a Power of the Force logo.
Each of the smaller paintings have an accompanying text block explaining the image. Clockwise from the Dueling image on the top left:
- Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker duel with lightsabers
- Using holograms of the Death Star orbiting the moon of Endor, Rebel leaders plan their attack against the Empire
- Imperial Stormtroopers, fearsome soldiers of the Galactic Empire
- Darth Vader
- Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith, personifies the evil of the Galactic Empire and the dark side of the Force
- Darth Vader greets the Emperor in the Death Star docking bay
- At the controls of the Millenium Falcon, General Lando Calrissian leads the attack on the Death Star
- From his throne room, the Emperor plans the final destruction of the Rebel Alliance
- A Rebel X-Wing approaches the entrance to the Death Star for the final assault against the Imperial forces
- Trash Compactor
- Han Solo tries to stop the trash compactor walls from closing
The final two border images are of an W-Wing being pursued by three TIE Fighters (bottom) and the Millenium Falcon beset by three more (lower right).
There are also five arrows pointing to various other planets in the SW Universe. These include "To Hoth" (top) , "Sanctuary Moon" (right), "To Endor" (lower right), "To Bespin" (bottom), and "To Tatooine" (left). In addition, on the upper right corner of the large Death Star painting is a text block that reads "Crash Site of Star Destroyer".
It is interesting to note that the names of the other two Planetary Maps are included. It is not known whether Bespin and Hoth were planned as Maps, but seems likely if the line had continued.
The text block in grey on the lower right states, in roughly the same layout:
THE DEATH STARS
Built by order of the Emperor and commanded by Governor Moff tarkin, the original Death Star was a deep-space battle station used to bring reluctant star systems forcibly into line with the Empire's "New Order." By exploiting a chink in the Death Star's armor, the Rebels were able to destroy it in the Battle of Yavin.
The ultimate battle between Rebels and Empire was centered on a second Death Star, more powerful than the first, built near the Moon of Endor. With ground aid from the Ewoks, and under the leadership of General Lando Calrissian, the Rebels again succeeded in destroying the Emperor's threat.
DEATH STAR I
- A superlaser capable of annihilating entire planets plus thousands of turbolaser weapons emplacements for defense
DEATH STAR II
- Twice the firepower of Death Star I
DEATH STAR I
- Approximately the size of a class IV moon
DEATH STAR II
- Approximately 100 miles in diameter
TM & © 1985 Lucasfilm Ltd. (LFL) All rights reserved. Kenner products, a division of CPG Products Corp., Authorized User 024300100
POTF Paperwork || Planetary Maps